Friday, May 25, 2012

Rain Boots - Alaska Style

25 May 2012


Sunrise at3:52 AMin direction29°North-northeastNorth-northeast
Sunset at11:46 PMin direction332°North-northwestNorth-northwest
Duration of day: 19 hours, 54 minutes (6 minutes, 41 seconds longer than yesterday)

Civil Twilight all day

It's been raining all day.  As a consequence, I have reconsidered buying rain boots.  Usually, when I consider this option, memories of hot feet, no support, and clomping along due to poor fit come flooding back from my child hood.  I turn to rationalization to avoid the memories; our sporadic rain and mud season is comparatively short.  A pair of rain boots is a wasted investment.  Still, today as I avoided puddles and draining water in my leather Keen's, I reconsidered.

But as in all things, finding the appropriate boot, with respect to fashion and practicality is very important.  I first considered buying boots when in Oregon.  My friend offered me hers so I could walk along the coast.  They fit surprisingly well, and it was easy to slip my pant legs inside them.  I was pleased and looked on line for something that might fit.  Hers were a simple design, with a pattern on the upper boot.  I think Nomad Rubber Boots for women has a good selection of boots for those who want design, good soles, but without a lot of expense.  I am not sure I have ever seen anything like this in Fairbanks though.

The boots on the left below caught my eye.  They are a simple but would come above the calf.  They looked like they would be practical for all kinds of wet weather, but still fit in with a pair of slacks if I needed to wear them while dressed in something besides Levi's.


LeChameau Wellington
Cabela Wellington























The only problem was that they cost $280.  It's true that the Duchess of Cambridge wears them - so they must be top notch, right?  I haven't seen any LeChameau boots in Fairbanks either.  On the other hand, the boots on the left have features that are desirable in Alaska, thinsulate, felt foot-bed with an arch, buckle top above the calf to keep out debris, water and snow.  They only cost $59.95.


There are three other manufacturers of rubber boots that are most likely to be purchased in Alaska. Sorel's are always reliable, long-lasting and always in fashion here.  The Sorel's on the left are practical with the some of the same insulating properties present in their severe cold weather boots which I wear in extreme cold:

Sorel Sorellingtons

Lately, Bogs have been laying claim to a lot of Alaskan dollars for those that want comfort, dryness, and warmth combined with ease for putting on and taking off.  The design is essentially the same for short and high boots with uppers of Neo-Tech insulation, removable insole and antimicrobial properties.


 Bogs













But if you really want to choose boots that are sure to signal you know Alaskan style, Xtratuf Neoprene are the boots to buy.  They dominate.  From sons of fisherman in Seward, to young coeds at UAF, to those avoiding wet feet in rainy Southeast and South Central these boots are clearly the first choice.

Fastionable under any circumstances
Xtratuf Neoprene Boots

Sorry, Duchess, you just don't reach our standards for style.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment.