Saturday, May 5, 2012

Dull's Ville and Being Incapable of Living Anywhere Else

4 May 2012
10:21 PM

Sunrise at    5:05 AM    in direction    47°    Northeast   
Sunset at    10:33 PM    in direction    314°    Northwest   
Duration of day: 17 hours, 28 minutes (7 minutes, 1 second longer than yesterday)

I am not able to think of anything interesting to blog about.  The purpose of this blog was to talk about life in Fairbanks.  And I had a lot of fun writing about those things that made life unique and interesting here in Fairbanks.  But with spring, I relax and I am seeing that many of my creative impulses are based in a slight discomfort and awe about my environment.  Now I am simply content, glad it's warm, and not so very verbal about my life.

Yesterday I had an email from a Google Recruiter asking if I were interested in talking about a position that was open.  Working with Google every day in the work place and having programmed using the provisioning API for user services, spreadsheet services, and group services, I really wanted to see more behind this company.  But, there was a flaw in my approach.  The recruiter suggested Noon our time.  Normally I would have committed immediately, but that was exactly at the time I was scheduled for an oil change and switching out or winter tires before our trip next week.  I countered with other times and explained why.

I never heard back from her.  I've thought about it a bit and realized I have changed.  I can't say that before coming here I would have ever countered with a different time with a company like Google so I could get our oil changed and walk in the park along the river with my Dad.  But I did do exactly that.

I made a goof about the oil change, though.  I forgot to tell them to put in synthetic oil, so Gary has to drive it back tomorrow because once you go to synthetic, you aren't supposed to go back.  When Dad and I were talking about it later, he said we shouldn't be changing oil all the time.  We should simply change the oil filter - so maybe something useful has come out of that goof.

I thought it was lovely along the river at midday.  Dad thought it a bit chilly.  I shrugged off the cold, actually.  I felt it, I was not entirely comfortable, but that didn't matter much.  I am never entirely comfortable' living in Fairbanks is not about physical comfortable.  I am cool, even a little chilly, almost all the time.  That is my life - after all, I only live 160 miles or so from the Arctic Circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment.