Monday, May 28, 2012

Dog Shows - Why I Participate

27 May 2010
10:04 PM


Sunrise at3:46 AMin direction27°North-northeastNorth-northeast
Sunset at11:53 PMin direction333°North-northwestNorth-northwest
Duration of day: 20 hours, 7 minutes (6 minutes, 33 seconds longer than yesterday)


Civil Twilight all day


I don't know why I continue to participate in dog shows, exactly.  But I can tell you this.  JayJay was rockin' yesterday.  I saw if she kept it up, she could finish this weekend - and I was disappointed.  That makes no sense, of course.  The idea is to finish as soon as possible, you'd think.  But I realized that wasn't what I was after - exactly.  I like being with other people who love dogs.  


Yes, I know, Best in Show was a hilarious movies that portrayed the unusual characteristics of people who follow dog shows, but I have to say - I don't experience that in Alaska.  I mean sure, people want to win, but as my friend said today - once you have finished, then you can't play anymore.  For me, at least, it is simply the fun of participation and as I watched the many people entered in the various breeds, that seemed to be what was motivating most of them too.


We were having a good time.  Some people really resent, for example, that my friend Michelle Santana brings dogs up to show.  But without her entries, we rarely have majors for Doberman Pinschers in Alaska.  Because she brought up another bitch (making 5 total) we had enough for major points in our region of Alaska for Dobermans.  


Here is how it works when you are cooperating with one another.  If either the bitch entries or dog entries aren't enough for major points, and you are working to help everyone get their championships, then you set it up so one needing major points has a chance to beat the one who just received a major in the final ring - the ring for Best of Breed.


Today Bev and Terry's dog, Aussie, received 3 points (i.e., a major).  He didn't get a major because Bev very skillfully and ably guided her male to success as Winners dog.  He received one point for that because he beat one other dog.  He received his major because when all the Dobermans went into the final ring to determine Best of Breed, he beat the bitch that had the major points.    


Since Bev returned with her dog and Michelle went to a different bitch for Best of Breed, the judge knew that it wasn't important to put up the Winners Bitch as Best of Winners unless she thought her extremely worthy.  She didn't.  Aussie was tagged as Best of Winners.


So, I guess I ignore those who fuss about Outsiders coming into the show ring.  Those of us with Dobermans need them - and besides, those folks are a rarity.  Instead, we just seem to have fun, relax - get together for dinner, eat and drink like we did tonight.  We talked dogs, talked politics, talked Alaska.  We had a good time and the bond I feel with these people is as strong as that I felt with a select few in Colorado - without all the headache and weirdness.


So, she didn't win today.  She either is loved or seems to place 3rd (oh well), so we are going to Anchorage where she can (hopefully) pick up a few more points.  Then we are going on to Soldotna mid July and Palmer in late July.  Hopefully, but that time she will be a champion and we can concentrate on agility and other types of performance skills, but for now, I am just happy to have friends who came over and had a good time at our house.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment.