Friday, July 27, 2012

South Central - Sunny and Warm

27 July 2012
8:35 PM


Sunrise at4:36 AMin direction37°NortheastNortheast
Sunset at11:16 PMin direction322°NorthwestNorthwest
Duration of day: 18 hours, 40 minutes (6 minutes, 55 seconds shorter than yesterday)

Civil twilight ends at 1:37 AM and begins at 2:29 AM

Officially, civil twilight all day has ended and so has the rainiest July in Anchorage and Fairbanks in many years.  For Anchorage, records have been broken for the amount of rain fall.  It began to clear Wednesday night and yesterday's drive down was lovely.  I caught glimpses of Denali through scattered clouds.  Nearing Talkeetna, I happened to look in the rear view mirror at just the right time and it was a full unobstructed view between the trees.

It has been amazing weather - no rain. I have not been to the Palmer dog shows when it hasn't been cool and rainy.  Our friends from the Pacific Northwest have been commenting on the fact that at 70F, we Alaskans are sweating and commenting on the heat.  I pulled out our blue tarp (how Alaskan of me) to drape it along the back of the crates to provide sufficient shade to keep it cooler while we waited.  I asked our friends if they wanted us to get another tarp for their dogs.  They considered it, but decided it wasn't necessary; after all, the crates were fully vented and it wasn't really hot.

I drove over to visit with Mom yesterday and today.  I took her down to Turnagain Arm today.  She wasn't really ready to go home when we turned back.  She was enjoying being in the car and being with me and seeing things.  I pointed out the volcanoes a couple of times and she commented on the sea birds in the marshes near the mouth of Turnagain Arm.  She noticed the blue sky and the mountains.

The day was so beautiful  that I was out with JayJay several times.  One was a good walk once we got back from Anchorage and then I took her over to the field by the Fairgrounds and let her roam.  I could have walked with her much longer, but there are not many places to take dogs where they won't meet bears, moose, or cars, so the fenced in area near the show grounds was a pretty good choice.  She was ready to come back and sleep afterward.

I will publish photos tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment.