Saturday, July 14, 2012

Salmon for Dinner - Copper River Red

14 July 2012
8:30 PM


Sunset at12:03 AMin direction334°North-northwestNorth-northwest
Sunrise at3:51 AMin direction26°North-northeastNorth-northeast


Civil Twilight all day

A very big benefit of living in Alaska is the subsistence permits residents are allowed for fishing and hunting.  I am not as fond of moose, although my children think it is tops.  However, anytime they want to put salmon on the table for us, that is just fine.  In the past, I have gone over to help prepare the fish for freezing after the fishing trip to Copper Basin provides us with our winter haul, but this year Gary did the honors.  He told me that the guys had it down to assembly line precision, and I know that must be so because he was not over there all that long, but we have enough fish, as does Lorien and the fisherman and his wife - Jamie and my daughter, Teresa.

Tonight was the first night I thawed some to cook a meal.  Gary spent the day volunteering for Fairbanks Resource Agency - the senior support services where my mother stayed during the day for nearly four years before we were able to place her at the Anchorage Pioneer Home.  One of their fund raisers is a yard sale.  We donated a lot of my Mom's things and then Gary set up his music system and kept things lively and comfortable with the music playing.

But after standing and working the sounds all day, he needed something extra and that extra bit of love came in the form of some very wonderful, very tasty, very red, Copper Red Salmon.  I pan simmered it in olive oil and basil spices.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment.