Saturday, June 9, 2012

Keeping Track of the Days

9 June 2012
12:22 PM


Sunset at12:30 AMin direction342°North-northwestNorth-northwest
Sunrise at3:10 AMin direction18°North-northeastNorth-northeast
Civil twilight all day

I don't.  I don't keep track of the days. During the work week, I have the calendar and can check periodically to see what day it is, but at home, time keeping doesn't seem to matter much when the light lasts all day.  I stayed up watching an old BBC series, Kingdom (very entertaining).  It was the first time this season that I deliberately stayed up to watch the light fade to deep twilight (I turned on the lamp behind me for form more than necessity) and back to early morning twilight again.  

It was lovely.  I have few words to describe the wonder of living in continual light, the effect on me and on the plants.  I carry around with me a perpetual sense of well-being, except for ALL the things we need to finish in three short months and a few weekends in September.

Ah, there's the rub.  I inhale the wonderful smells of summer. I bask in the warmth of the days.  I happily weed my little garden and watch the flowers grow and bloom, but I am ever mindful that winter is coming. I never seem to lose sight of that completely.

But it is very easy to put that awareness on the back burner at the lowest simmer possible and just open up my heart and mind to the wonder of Fairbanksian summer.  And despite it being early June, summer has only just begun.  By mid-July we will be awash in flowers.  By August the blooms will be overflowing in all gardens.

Life is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment.