Monday, April 30, 2012

Planning a Trip South

30 April 2012
7:23 PM

Sunrise at5:19 AMin direction50°NortheastNortheast
Sunset at10:20 PMin direction310°NorthwestNorthwest
Duration of day: 17 hours (6 minutes, 59 seconds longer than yesterday)

We are planning a "driveabout", to fracture an indigenous Austrialian people's phrase.  Dad and I will drive south Sunday via the old route along Highway 1, Saturday morning, early.  We will pass through Delta, Glennallen and then head west to Palmer and finally Anchorage.  We will stay in Anchorage and I will pick up Gary later that night from the airport.  He has an obligation in town until 5:30 or so.  

The next day, we will drive to Seward and Vera has been so kind as to get us passes into the Sea Life Museum for both in the regular visitor area and the "behind the scenes" areas where they care for the sea life part of the display.  I just got an email today that the Sea Life Center is fully heated with sea-water over winter and a presentation will be in Anchorage about the time we go down, but we won't be back in Anchorage quite that soon.  I will prod folks to show us while we are there.  We will stay in Seward that night, although I would much rather drive to Homer and stay there because we have a truly, truly fine place to stay in Homer and Seward lodging is over-priced, but there it is.  Seward is beautiful and it is worth taking the extra evening and morning before the drive down.

We will stay in Homer two days and then drive back to Anchorage very late Thursday night.  Gary takes a flight out early Friday morning for another obligation at Davis Hall, but Dad and I will stay in Anchorage.  It will give me three days I can see Mom; I am looking forward to that.   We can walk Delaney Park, walk along the Inlet and I can do a bit of necessary shopping as I have run out of a few things since our last visit.

On Saturday we will drive north to Talkeetna and be with Lorien Saturday evening and Sunday morning.  I might get to see his house this trip, but no matter what, it will be fun and entertaining.  Early Sunday afternoon, we will head home for Fairbanks.  It is lots of driving, but a wonderful trip.  I am very much looking forward to our excursion.

I need to buy a camera before we go.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment.