Thursday, April 26, 2012

Guest from Outside

25 April 2012
9:27 PM


Sunrise at5:37 AMin direction55°NortheastNortheast
Sunset at10:03 PMin direction306°NorthwestNorthwest
Duration of day: 16 hours, 25 minutes (6 minutes, 57 seconds longer than yesterday)

The last few days have been busy, busy as we completed final touches for my Dad's visit.  One of the reasons I didn't blog was I was devoting just about every free moment clearing things out of the apartment downstairs and the garage so he would be comfortable.  Mom and Dad have not lived together since I was 16 - a long, long time ago.  I wanted the room to be as neutral as possible so he could make it his own while here.

This is his first visit to Alaska.  Mike drove him from San Andreas in the Mother Lode of California to Sacramento and then he flew from there to Seattle, Seattle to Anchorage, and would have left Anchorage for Fairbanks 3 hours later, but we managed to get him on an earlier flight.

He is downstairs, sleeping.  He still pays clear attention to where he is.  I had left an Alaska state map downstairs on the table for him.  I was pleased I'd anticipated he'd want that when he mentioned he would pick up a map at AAA. He traced the route from the airport as far as my state map would take him and I went upstairs to find a Fairbanks map so he could complete fitting things into place.  I do it in exactly the same way, although I usually use Google when at home.

Dad is still interested in things outside his own life, but he still needed to create his own space quickly downstairs. He unpacked, drank some decaf, ate a light dinner I had waiting in the refrigerator, and watched some TV.  Later I heard the TV turn off.  It is still light and it will be light very early tomorrow.  I wonder how long he will be able to sleep.

Dad will be here for a month and we will travel around a bit.  I am excited.  Mom did not have an interest in traveling because by the time she got here, she was fairly advanced in her dementia.  Her world had already started to narrow.  I think, at my age, I am lucky to have a parent to share Alaska with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment.