Monday, April 16, 2012

Changing Quickly Now

16 April 2012
7:49 PM


Sunrise at6:10 AMin direction63°East-northeastEast-northeast
Sunset at9:33 PMin direction298°West-northwestWest-northwest
Duration of day: 15 hours, 23 minutes (6 minutes, 52 seconds longer than yesterday)


Life is good.  Break up is an absolutely miraculous process to me.  Last week I was talking about how things seem to be melting, but there was still over a foot of snow everywhere on the yard.  Last night I noticed that a sizable area under the Birch tree by our side deck was snow free.  Around each of the tree trunks in the yard, a circle of bare ground was widening day by day.  Today, I realized it was the first day I could see ground at the back of the yard toward the property line.  On campus, there is no snow on any of the grass or sidewalk areas.


I wish I had a camera, but anyone who has gone through snow to melt and bare ground knows what I am talking about as far as how it looks.  One day there is snow, the next day there are bare patches of sodden leaves and fledging grass shoots, but the wonderful thing is how truly fast it happens.  We have over 15 hours of daylight now and the temperature is not dropping below freezing at night, so the snow continues to run off or evaporate during the evening hours.  Areas of the driveway that I thought could flood due to the snow berm are clear.  A channel in the ice formed and slipped under the berm, and the excess water melted into the lower south east corner.  


Buds are clearly evident on the birch trees and every willow along Farmer's Loop shows sign of fuzz.  And the winter's trash is appearing day by day.  Fairbanks has a city clean up where volunteers get out and clean up all the winter debris.  Amazing that the community does it, but until that day, we will see odd things appear along highways and neighborhood streets.  But you know what?  I don't care about that.  I am happy to see spring come, brown and dirty, trash lying about.  It doesn't matter, we have not burned a fire for several days and the hot water heat has not come on to compensate.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment.