Thursday, April 5, 2012

Up on the Runners

5 April 2012
5:50 PM


Sunrise at6:50 AMin direction73°East-northeastEast-northeast
Sunset at8:58 PMin direction288°West-northwestWest-northwest
Duration of day: 14 hours, 8 minutes (6 minutes, 47 seconds longer than yesterday)

This weekend I am hoping to get up on sled runners behind a dog team for the first time in my life.  Aliy (SP Kennel) invited me out to give it a try.  We talked about it earlier this mushing season when I told her that mushing - albeit recreationally only - was something I really wanted to do.  I wanted my own little sled, my own little team, and my own very short, happy trips.

She immediately nixed a sled - which probably means something like, "Let's see if you really want to be on the runners before you buy a sled and team."  Yeah, okay.  I can see her point.

I immediately announced to family and friends that I was going to be up on the runners this weekend.  Mentally I started planning which dogs of the kennel I would take.  Aliy said four would suffice, and so I went over all the dogs who I thought might be the happy to pull me, given I KNOW nothing.  Cutter, maybe Puppet - how about Cha Cha, maybe Ranger?  Would that be too much power for a beginner?  Of course, I will not be the one choosing my canine companions.  I know that, but it was a whole lot of of fun to thinking about which team members would be a part of my first time out.

Then a co-worker noted that the pond at the Two Rivers Inn was gray today and it looks like others ponds and river overflow are showing signs of break up.  I also noticed how much bare ground was visible on the way into work today.  I thought to myself, surely the trails would last to Saturday.  I mentioned as much and she squashed that hope immediately.   "Chinook," she said.  Warm temperatures coming.

I went to the 7-day forecast for our region and in particular Two Rivers.  Two Rivers can be cooler than here in town.  Here in Middle Tanana Valley, the temperatures are expected to be in the low 50F range.  I checked weather bug for Two Rivers.





Hmmm - cooler, but not exactly what I was hoping for, although it will be cold enough to set up over night - at least what hasn't melted to bare ground during the day.  All around campus, large swaths of snow free terrain are visible now.  It could be pretty messy by this weekend and I may not have the lesson I was hoping for.

Isn't it a hoot?  The long awaited spring is finally, finally, finally upon us - and I want it to not come so quickly?







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment.