Friday, March 2, 2012

Preparation for the Ceremonial Start

2 March 2012
5:49 PM

Sunrise at7:54 AMin direction104°East-southeastEast-southeast
Sunset at6:13 PMin direction256°West-southwestWest-southwest
Duration of day: 10 hours, 18 minutes (6 minutes, 46 seconds longer than yesterday)

Writing from Anchorage, AK

I personally did nothing to prepare for tomorrow's ceremonial start .. well, I did one thing. I thought ahead to get a reservation for breakfast at Snow city Cafe for 8:30 AM so we could eat before the ceremonial start at 10:00.  And I did stop by and give some of the dogs some love this morning. They are resting in the dog trucks now, although they were taken out for a stretch run earlier today.

SP Kennel Dog Trucks in front of Clarion



Dog peeking through SP Kennel Dog Truck Air Screen


Then Aliy and Allen gave a presentation here at the Clarion Suites, and I stopped in to listen.  It is always a pleasure to listen to them.  They showed Aliy's video cam from the running of the Iditarod, 2011, when she edged out DeeDee Jonorwe for 11th place.  Watching the Iditarod finish from her video cam again was exciting and also very touching.  Aliy was so focused, giving the commands to the dogs to go straight ahead, pass, gee, haw, and then move into the finish chute.  Even at the last, they worked so fluidly as a team.

Aliy's and the Red Team's 2011 Iditarod finish.

Then Allen and Aliy did a neat comparison between the two long distances races - the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest, and also explained the uses for the mandatory gear.  I've seen the presentation before, but they vary it and each year I learn something.  Then, they got to our favorite part, of course; they brought in the dogs.

Poster showing the SP Kennel canine members of the team


The most important part of the race

I finally connected with Ryne - all year I have missed her when I've been out at the kennel.  She is also from Colorado - Four Corners, and one of the nicest, most postive people I know.  I wished her well as this is her rookie year.  Wouldn't it be great if Ryne were Rookie of the Year?  Go Ryne!


But other than these brief interludes, I spent my day gathering furnishings for my Mom's move down which meant another fun filled weekend traversing the streets of Anchorage as I sought items needed. The roads were not as bad as before - or actually, they could be, but we are in our Ridgeline instead of a light weight rental car with no snow tires.

We also picked our friend, Rebecca, from the airport and went to dinner.  She flew in for work-related meetings with Premera and scheduled the time so she could be a part of the Iditarod festivities.  She is very energetic and applies that energy very effectively in her work, personal, emotional, and spiritual life.

I think we are energetic in Alaska - but the way it manifests is very different somehow.  People with lots of energy mush 1000 miles, hike across trails where there is no contact with other people except for drop off at one end and pick at another, ski 100 miles or take two days and raft down a glacial river .. different.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment.