Sunday, March 4, 2012

Iditarod 2012 - Ceremonial Start

3 March 2012
3:58 PM

Sunrise at7:51 AMin direction104°East-southeastEast-southeast
Sunset at6:16 PMin direction257°West-southwestWest-southwest
Duration of day: 10 hours, 25 minutes (6 minutes, 46 seconds longer than yesterday)






Writing From Anchorage









It snowed off and on all day.  When I went to clear off the car to drive our friend back to her hotel, the accumulation was nearly 3" from the previous evening.  My feet did get chilled standing on the snow bank from which I watched the start.  It was not unbearable, but still reminded me to put on heavier socks today.  Keeping snow flakes off the lens required careful aim, and I am not sure I entirely succeeded since a few photos were fuzzy even before I enlarged them.

All in all - great day to be outside watching the festivities with the crowd.  I don't have much else to say about the Ceremonial Start today, but I do have pictures.  I did not get all the photos I wanted.  I missed William Pinkham and Tom Thurston (both of Colorado) and Jodi.  I missed DeeDee as I had stepped back to give my space at the fence back to the original claimants and realized she was soon up. I don't think I got Lance due to fumbling with on/off switches; conservation of the batteries through out any session is tricky.  I left before Mike Williams, Jr., Clarke Lachlan (Colorado) Brent Sass, and Rohn Buser left.  These are folks I will be following closely during the race.  

I maintain an interest in the guys from Colorado because we lived there so long.  I also maintain an interest in the Canadians, Michelle, Gerry, & Karen.  I want to see how well Nicholas Petit does as he was a spectacular rookie last year.

But, I attempted to take photos of Aliy, Peter Kaiser, Ryne, John Baker, Sigrid Ekran, Ramey Smyth, and Ken Anderson.  I missed The Hugh in the Hat and Lance Mackey due to "technical difficulties.  Let's see what I actually got and if they are recognizable!

.....

Okay, I have several photos of mushers who are incredibly far away and barely recognizable.  So, I will put up the ones I have that I think are actually viewable.  This is because I wasn't willing to be pushy and get people to move out of the way and now I REALLY regret that because the shots of Ken Anderson and of Ryne, where I found a good spot and weaseled myself into place, is actually decent for a digital w/o distance correction.


Aliy waving to the crowd

Ken Anderson

Peter Kaiser

Ramey Smyth

Ryne Olson
Siegrid Ekran










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment.