Saturday, January 14, 2012

Ice Fog to Amazing Clarity

14 January 2012
8:13 PM

Sunrise at10:30 AMin direction145°SoutheastSoutheast
Sunset at3:30 PMin direction215°SouthwestSouthwest
Duration of day: 5 hours (5 minutes, 37 seconds longer than yesterday)

Sunrise through Ice Fog on the Richardson Highway

 It is cold in the Interior - very cold.  I left as planned around 8:30 am, heading south.  I made a few stops and then got gas.  As I continued, I noticed an engine light on.  Since it is frigid and a lot of traveling on roads with few cars this time of year, I pulled off at North Pole, AK to find a gas station. As I left the Richardson Highway, I noted the temperature reading on a sign ... -44F.  My car stopped its reporting at -25F.  I didn't believe it as the gauge is typically about 7 degrees warmer than accurate at cold temperatures, but I wasn't prepared for that. 


There were no stations in easy to find places that had service personnel, so I went back to Fairbanks.  There they told me it was a service engine light.  Kendall, the Honda/Toyota/Kia dealership is open for service by appointment on Saturdays, so I went over to see if they could tell me what was up.  As it turns out, it was due to the gas cap not having been tightened by the service man at the gas station.  That station will always send someone out to help, even for self-serve, so there you are.  I headed back on the road.


When the Interior is this cold, ice fog develops everywhere.  I was raised on the coast of California and in the Central Valley.  Fog is familiar, but the ice adds another element to the whole experience.  I went in and out of ice fog once the amount of traffic lessened, since car exhaust will contribute to it, but I did not go in and out of the cold for many, many miles.  At one point, I realized I'd had too much tea and had to stop by the road.  Absolutely no one was on the road by the Tanana River this morning.  So, I did what any good Alaskan will do, I unzipped and made it quick.  Exposing delicate flesh to -40F temperatures is not as bad as you'd think.  I don't know how long it takes to freeze human surface skin cells instantaneously, but it's not -44F - thank goodness.  


Then we pulled up out of the river valley and for one instance my internal gauge flickered to -24F (I am guessing -31F) and then settled back in.  Once we passed Delta Junction, however, the temperature steadily rose and the ice fog was left behind for good.  I dallied, I am afraid.  I meant to be here by noon, but I kept taking photos.  I will add more, after I have a chance to look them over, but the one below shows a glimpse of what a glorious day it turned out to be.  I can honestly say, this was one of the most beautiful drives I have made between Glennallen and Delta.

Alaskan Range Tri-peaks also visible from Fairbanks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment.