Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Cold Snap that Won't Release Its Grip

17 January 2012
7:55 PM

Sunrise at10:22 AMin direction143°SoutheastSoutheast
Sunset at3:40 PMin direction217°SouthwestSouthwest
Duration of day: 5 hours, 18 minutes (5 minutes, 56 seconds longer than yesterday)

Icy fingers continue to grip us.  In an earlier blog, I provided details about the delivery of fuel to Nome.  I read an update from a national news site reporting that fuel delivery began yesterday.  After describing aspects of setting up hoses, the author noted that they were doing all this in frigid temperatures.  Then the reporter went on to say that extreme cold was no stranger to Nome.

The ocean moderates temperature.  I wondered what the temperature was in Nome.  What would this reporter from the Outside think was extreme?  Would it be as cold as here right now?  I checked.  Nope, -15F today.  In contrast you can see the Tanana Valley Region below for earlier today:

LocationTime
(akst)
Sky/WeatherTemp.
(ºF)
Wind
(mph)
Fairbanks International Airport10:53Fog/Mist-42Calm
Fairbanks / Eielson Air Force Base10:55Freezing Fog-40Calm
Wainwright U. S. Army Airfield10:55Freezing Fog-44Vrbl 1

It warmed up to -36F but then dropped right back down with predictions of -45F to -50F in the valley over night.  Currently the temperature at Ft. Wainwright, the closest weather station to us, is -42F.  There is some crazy prediction that in the hills it could be as warm as -15F.  But the truth is, it's entirely possible.  The cold settles into the valleys along the rivers.  I will call my friend Vera later tonight to see what she has off her deck, as she lives a few hundred feet higher than we do.  Our deck reads -36F -- not exactly tanning weather.

The annual mean temperature for Fairbanks is -19F.  In checking the mean for Nome in January, it was posted at -2F.  Nome recorded its coldest temperature in January at -54F, while Fairbanks edged it out with -61F for the same month.    I read somewhere that the annual mean temperature for Fairbanks is 28F. 

I can get a bit obsessed with these details at times. 

But, I think I made my point - or points.  First, we definitely experience colder temperatures on average than Nome and secondly, if you don't live in it, it's very hard to comprehend the difference between -15F and -45F.  It's something that has to be experienced.

Two of my children are in Hawaii, my daughter and son-in-law.  If its affordable, most folks in Alaska will take a break Outside during the winter months.  Since many who flee the cold for a short spell select Hawaii as their destination spot, those who are willing to plan in advance can get good fares to that tropical archipelago - as low as or lower than the cost of flying to Seattle or San Francisco.

Gary and I are among the few that opt to travel to the west coast of the Lower 48 as a break.  We postponed our trip Outside for March.  My idea was to have more time to accumulate funds for the trip and leave when I begin to feel that winter has been here forever.  At the moment, I am not sure that was really such a great idea!

My son lives on the South slope at Talkeetna and it is 20F degrees or more warmer there.  Yes, I realize that is still well below zero but as I said before, those 20 F degrees can mean a lot in comfort.  I originally thought I would live in Anchorage.  I've always been near cities, if not actually living in them.  I love the view surrounding Cook Inlet, the volcanoes, Denali on a clear day, Sleeping Lady, and the drive up Turnagain Arm.  It did not work out that way and now I am attached to the slow pace of Fairbanks, but I am not overly attached to the winter temperatures of Fairbanks.

Still, as always, there is a fierce, wonderful beauty.

Winter Shining through Snow Laden Birch Trees





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment.