Friday, January 13, 2012

Copper Basin Here I Come

13 January 2012
7:13 AM

Sunrise at10:32 AMin direction146°SoutheastSoutheast
Sunset at3:27 PMin direction214°SouthwestSouthwest
Duration of day: 4 hours, 55 minutes (5 minutes, 30 seconds longer than yesterday)

I was listening to an interview of Darrin Lee on the Copper Basin 300 sled dog race site,  Copper Basin 300, earlier this week.  He described in great detail the problems they were having laying down the trail for the race because of the snow depth and blowing snow.  At the conclusion of the interview, they mentioned they still needed volunteers and if interested, contact race organizers.

So, I did.  The race coincides with a three day weekend for the University of Alaska, my employer.  To make a long story short, I am driving to Copper Basin early Saturday morning to volunteer at Race Central.  My first rotation will be graveyard starting Saturday night and lasting until Sunday morning.  I am VERY up for this.

I have driven this stretch of road many times, although I rarely go in that direction.  When coming back from Anchorage during the summer, I occasionally will opt to tack another hour on the drive to go through Copper Basin.  If clear, the views of the peaks in the Wrangell-St.Elias National Park are worth the extra hour.  Jack Maciasczcyk took this nicely telescoped photo of Mt. Drum.  Consuelo Heath published this one below on her blog,  Our Great RV Escape.  While it is not as clear, it is more true to life.

View of Mt. Drum from the Glenn Highway

So, I am heading onto a well traveled road, but alone in winter.  I asked my son-in-law if they had a sleeping bag I could borrow in case I get stuck. He offered me his which is good to -40F.  That should do it.  Then he fussed at me about being warm enough.  It should not be as cold in the basin as it will be here in the Interior this weekend, but I appreciated his concern.  It never hurts to have enough really warm clothes - especially if you have to be out for any length of time at subzero temperatures - or even below freezing.

Here is my packing list:

From Teresa and Jamie
  • sleeping bag
  • insulated bib overalls
  • over mits
Clothes
  • long underwear
  • Smart Wool socks
  • Sorels
  • Premium Down Parka
  • Wool liner gloves
  • scarf
  • Hat
  • one pair fleece gloves
  • one pair fleece mittens
  • light wool under sweaters
  • fleece pull overs
  • Levi's
  • fleece slacks
Standard winter travel list
  • matches
  • kindling
  • extra gasoline
  • water
Creature comfort
  • tea bags
  • agave
  • food without milk or soy
  • Kindle
  • Computer
  • Lindy Hop 

Lindy Hop is my daughter's and son-in-law's oldest, biggest Alaskan Husky.  We are keeping her while they take their winter break in Hawaii.  She is a good traveling companion and it will be a comfort to me to have her.  I won't take any of the dobies.  They would pine away waiting in the car, not to mention getting cold.  Lindy will do just fine and we will both sleep indoors to give her arthritic bones a break.

oh boy oh boy oh boy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment.