Saturday, September 29, 2012

Fearful or Bully, the Issue Remains

29 July 2012
11:14 AM

Sunrise at7:57 AMin direction95°EastEast
Sunset at7:24 PMin direction265°WestWest
Duration of day: 11 hours, 27 minutes (6 minutes, 37 seconds shorter than yesterday)



Cutter in his favored deck spot, where he can keep
an eye on the door

Although my daughter, Teresa, took our neighbor's word at face value yesterday - just as I did - she called this morning and voiced what I had been thinking yesterday evening when my initial shock passed.

"Mom, you are taking the word of a man who was bullying you that JayJay was aggressive."

Well, she is right.  I realized he was bullying me, telling me about the gun and chain saw.  I am not easily bullied which is why I simply countered with the fact that I had never seen any aggression in her at all.  I even invited him to come meet her a few times.  To tell me her ears went up when he started toward her is not an indication of aggression.  That is what their ears do when alert about absolutely anything - which is to say all those months of taping and re-taping have not gone to waste.

What I didn't tell him, if I wanted to engage in a verbal tussle, was that in his fearful state, he was considering shooting a dog that has gone into his neighbors yard with the children out playing with no problems.  I did not return threats or bluster.  I could have told him if he touched my dog without her actually attacking, I'd sue him for her cost (I read of someone doing that - seems extreme, but could be a useful threat in the heat of the moment).  I didn't tell him she was a Champion of champion lines worth more than some of his weight room equipment.  What I did was acknowledge his automatic response to seeing a doberman in his yard.  They have a bad reputation.

And the truth is, they do have strong protective instincts.  As an owner, you do nothing to encourage protectiveness.  You do not train them to consider it their duty to protect and defend.  You have to let it come naturally so it does not become excessive or dangerous.  And frankly, if they weren't my dogs, I would not walk into the house uninvited.  So, even though my daughter reminded me that JayJay was afraid enough of one of our house sitters (lots of long dreadlocks) that she wouldn't come out from under the bed and in general is a sissy, I felt the best thing to do was acknowledge his fears and worries.  Then do my best to ease them.

A man who is afraid of a silly girl dog, afraid enough to consider getting a gun before his buddy reminded him she was not likely to come over to mess with the chain saw, is not to be pushed.  Teresa reminded me that some people are irrational and expect everyone else to get out of their way.  She cited some examples of neighbors encountered near one of her friend's house.  But, she also agreed with me to give him the benefit of the doubt.  He has been bit, probably when young, and those fears do not subside.  Blustering and bullying is a way to save face after the fact, but the fear was real for him.

While I agree that I should not be overly concerned about JayJay's apparent change in character, the issue remains.  The invisible fence is still going to be installed.  The dogs will enjoy it and the family next door can be assured they will not be visited by those big, bad, scary dobermans.

At the moment, two of the big, bad, scary dobermans are curled in tight balls - one on the couch, one on the chair.  Cutter is stretched out on the floor.  The dogs are in their accustomed places in their accustomed poses.  All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment.