Saturday, August 18, 2012

Four Piles More and Visible Progress

18 August 2012
1:08 PM

Sunrise at5:49 AMin direction56°East-northeastEast-northeast
Sunset at9:58 PMin direction303°West-northwestWest-northwest
Duration of day: 16 hours, 8 minutes (6 minutes, 51 seconds shorter than yesterday)

After a few hours of work, I am willing to post an update photo and take a short break.  I also took photos of the insects infesting the birch trees we felled.  When I go back out, I will take my small chain saw and begin to cut 4' sections until the trunk becomes too large.

Progress


Although I didn't intend to originally, I am now going to cut the kindling pile into smaller lengths.  It will make it easier to stack for drying.  I have searched through the web more times than I care to admit looking for the red/black beetle in the last photo.  I dropped off a sample at the UAF Cooperative Extension Gardening Department.  They will probably be able to tell me what the insect is on Monday.


Possible aphid residue

Stink bug and unknown insect egg sacs

Leaf Miner damage

Beetles that appear to like birch seed clusters


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment.